Sunday 16 November 2008

I love the smell of Milton in the morning....

Smell that? You smell that?
What?
Milton, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
[kneels]
I love the smell of Milton in the morning.


I was cycling to the stinkiest place in town and I didn't even know it yet. Minutes away and fractions of miles up a river that snaked through the city like a main circuit cable - plugged straight into Milton.....

As I sedately pedalled my way up to the North side of the city this week through the wafting malodorous mist that marks the boundaries of that part of town on a bad day the horror stuck me... Milton sits on the North side of Cambridge, slap bang in the center of an olfactory perfect storm.

To one side the Cambridge sewage works to the other the land fill site, on a bad day the stench can be truly nose wateringly staggering. Now it's not like the people who live there are not trying to do something about it, but dear god, the horror... the horror... I wish I had words, man. I wish I had words.

No comments: